Flutterby™! : A claim of ownership

Next unread comment / Catchup all unread comments User Account Info | Logout | XML/Pilot/etc versions | Long version (with comments) | Weblog archives | Site Map | | Browse Topics

A claim of ownership

2005-03-27 15:08:35.055367+00 by Dan Lyke 21 comments

Got this claim of ownership for "the copyright to Flutterby" this morning.

You need to be aware that a book has been written using that name (among others) and that when the book is published you may find yourself in a position where you may be asked by our attorneys to relinquish the domain name.

Anybody have any idea of what sort of scam he's running? Obviously he's woefully uninformed about intellectual property law...

[ related topics: Intellectual Property Books Weblogs Copyright/Trademark ]

comments in ascending chronological order (reverse):

#Comment Re: made: 2005-03-27 16:12:45.364701+00 by: patrick connors

I googled the author of the letter. Use the full, unusual name in the signature.

Based on that search, I'm guessing he just wrote a 'how I got rich' book and is about to self-publish it.

I think were I in your shoes, I'd pay my web registration another year or two ahead (a good idea anyway - I pay mine at random times at least 90 days before the renewal date), tell him you can't copyright a title, and wait.

He's right about one thing: Flutterby's a good site.

#Comment Re: made: 2005-03-27 17:19:02.788001+00 by: mvandewettering

I'm not sure what's he's smoking, but it's simply not possible to copyright titles. If the author held a trademark, he could possibly pursue a case, but he would have to be able to show that there was some legitimate grounds for confusion between your name and his in the area of trade in which he is engaged (remember, trademarks protect names under which trade is conducted, without trade, there is no trademark protection).

Usual disclaimers, I am not a lawyer, yadda yadda...

#Comment Re: made: 2005-03-27 17:59:02.58411+00 by: aiworks

You need to be more concerned about a WIPO domain name dispute. If he gets a trademark (which anyone can do, even if it's invalid) and files a claim, you're domain will almost certainly be taken away for a time.

#Comment Re: made: 2005-03-27 18:52:02.288396+00 by: ziffle

He is using his middle name it appears because he is trying clarify he is not the executed guy by a similar name. But it appears he does write books. http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/book.asp?ref=0632045647

I suggest you trademark the name today uspto.gov as a BLOG. Its trademarked already for a variety of things but no blog. I would think once you get a trademark you could keep the name. Maybe an attorne would have a smpler way to deal with it.

#Comment Re: made: 2005-03-27 19:29:00.888721+00 by: DaveP

Or if you're interested in reading a slightly related story (and have a half-day to spare), check out Taubman Sucks and all the associated legal documents filed for a lesson on trademark law and how it applies to domain names.

#Comment Re: made: 2005-03-27 23:09:46.75162+00 by: meuon [edit history]

First, why is it almost every 'asshole' letter I have ever gotten has been signed a variation of 'God Bless'? - Oh, because only a self-righteous fake Christian would send a letter like that. Wasn't that nice, he is allowing you to use 'Flutterby'. What about the prior use ranging from the original poetic use to a book titled: Flutterby

Somehow.. I smell something fishy. Like he thinks Dan would just hand it over? What does he mean when he says: "...has been written using that name (among others)" - He did not mention the actual name of the book, and this wording is just plain strange.

It is also possible this is a troll. A Quick Google shows this guys e-mail being listed as spam/flame bait on a forum... as well as they he's got "12 years experience as a concours detailer." - for VW's and is into fitness and homeopathy.

The scam: Perhaps this healthy homeopathic VW fanatic wants you to pay him off in fear so that you can keep your domain name. Me? I'm thinking he considers finding a better scam.

Is he: http://cehs07.unl.edu/fsinfo/cehs_pull.php?UserName=tcarr&

His IP's suggest Charlotteville Virginia though.

More of a search finds a Timothy Ayerst Carr at iron-bound.com in VA.. Which leads us to him as:

   ***** removed by meuon for reasons difficult to explain to rational humans *****
Bingo! Where he hawks fitness supplements. with a hopefully true personal story where he combats a mild case of cystic fibrosis with strength training. ('Hopefully' - not meant to be sarcastic..)

There are good sides to being an asshole: Road Trip Anyone?

#Comment Re: made: 2005-03-27 23:35:53.635499+00 by: Dan Lyke

My initial response to him, because I was trying to figure out what he was attempting to tell me, was: